Friday, June 7, 2013

Feature Friday:Heat Embossing

So i finally finished this Feature Friday project i wanted to start. Every other Friday I will "feature" a new product or technique you can use in your crafting. This Friday I will show you different ways of embossing. Lets get started! 


The technique of using embossing powders is known as Heat Embossing. An image is stamped onto a page using slow drying ink and the embossing powders are poured over the image. Embossing powder will stick to any moist, freshly stamped image, but special slow-drying embossing ink and the pigment ink pads stay wet longer and make embossing easier. When the loose powders are gently poured back into the jar, some of the powders will stick to the image. This is then carefully heated until the embossing powders melt. Embossing powders are fine granules that when heated, melt together to form a raised and glossy surface. Once heated, the embossing powders permanently bond to the surface. The finished result is waterproof making it ideal for painting. Embossing powders are normally sold in small tubs or jars of a single color powder. Embossing powders can be mixed together to create unique and customized colors and finishes. There are many different types of embossing powder available. They are all used in the same way, the main difference between them is the color or finished result. Embossing powders can be found in a wide range of colors and shades from the palest pastel colors to deep and dark hues. Transparent embossing powders are a versatile option and can be used in many different ways. Embossing powders have different types of finish. Some powders have a glittery finish, others a high shine and some even have a fragrance. You can also emboss on lots of different surfaces. For this Feature Friday I show you how to emboss on paper, wood, metal, and with Scor-Tape. 

 I choose to use this distress embossing powder but as I mentioned earlier any pigment ink will work well.
 I took the ink pad and smashed it into the paper and then used three different embossing powders to create this look. Next Feature Friday I will be using distress stains so I will finish this card then.

 So for this next embossing project i used the Tombo glue pen as my base for the embossing powder.

 This is a wood Kaiser Kraft mustache that i inked first then used the glue pen to write the word LOVE.


 I loved the pink and oragne together so i wanted to see the pink ink with the embossing powder. After i stamped the image I sprinkled a little bit of powder over the mustache.
For this particular image i had to emboss from under the image instead of directly on the image. The ink i used was not a wet slow drying ink so if I had pointed the heat gun directly on the image then all the powder would have been blown away. I also made a card using this image but I am also using distress stains on the card so you will see the finished project in the distress stain tutorial. 
 I used a metal fish to emboss on and also used the glue pen to hold the embossing powder.

 For the same project I used Scor-Tape to emboss with. I cut the piece i needed from the roll then embossed it. I put the Scor-Tape on an SRM tube so i didnt want to place it on my tube because the heat gun will melt the plastic.

On this project i embossing the metal fish, the Scor-Tape, and the under the sea stamped image.

I hope you enjoyed this Feature Friday
Happy crafting
~Tori






                                        
  

1 comment: